Before entering private practice, Mr. Kream was a law clerk to the Honorable William R. Nash, Justice of the Appellate Court of Illinois, Second Judicial District. During his tenure with Justice Nash, Mr. Kream participated in the preparation of approximately sixty appellate opinions. Since entering private practice, Mr. Kream has handled approximately thirty appeals in the State and Federal Appellate and Supreme Courts.
Mr. Kream has extensive experience in the prosecution and defense of complex medical, hospital and nursing home negligence cases, as well as other types of professional negligence cases. Mr. Kream has also successfully litigated other catastrophic injury cases involving construction injuries, electrocution injuries, industrial accidents caused by dangerous or defective machinery, injuries caused by dangerous or defective products, and motor vehicle accidents. These cases have included birth injuries, brain damage, amputations, spinal cord injuries, failure to diagnose or properly treat cancer, paralysis, and wrongful death. Recent successes include:
$2.4 million settlement for the family of a man who died because of an unrecognized esophageal intubation
$1.1 million settlement for the family of a 63 year old woman who died as a result of the failure to timely diagnose and treat a perforation of her esophagus after surgery.
$950,000.00 settlement for a roofer who fell through an improperly protected hole in a roof.
$1.495 million settlement for a 63 year old woman who suffered infected bed sores
$600,000 settlement for a woman who suffered back injuries when a chair collapsed as a result of a moving company's negligence
$2.3 million settlement for a 75 year old woman who was paralyzed by a wrong level spinal surgery
$1 million verdict for patient who was found on fire while restrained to a hospital bed
$1.75 million settlement for the family of a 45 year old woman who bled to death after a kidney biopsy
$2 million settlement for the family of a 66 year old woman who died because she was not properly monitored after receiving morphine following a face lift surgery
$2.67 million verdict for a 51 year old woman who was not properly treated for breast cancer
$5.9 million verdict for a 71 year old woman who was rendered a paraplegic by a spinal injection
$3.4 million settlement for the family of a 34 year old asthmatic who suffered brain damage and later died because a breathing tube was negligently placed in his esophagus
$2.15 million settlement for the family of a window washer who was electrocuted when his ladder contacted power lines that were placed too close to the building
$500,000 settlement for a man who suffered the amputation of several toes as a result of the negligent treatment of a blood clot behind his knee
$1.15 million settlement for the family of a 56 year old man who suffered a fatal heart attack as a result of medical negligence.
Areas of Practice
- Medical, Hospital and Nursing Home Negligence 75%
- Construction and Industrial Accidents, Product Liability 20%
- Auto and Trucking Accidents, Other Serious Injury Cases
- Appeals 5%
- Illinois, 1980
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 1981
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctorate - 1980
- Honors: With Distinction
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- B.A. - 1976
- Major: Philosophy
- Chapter 24, Electrical Injuries, in Illinois Causes of Action, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Elements, Forms and Winning Tips: Tort Actions, 2008, revised 2011, 2014, 2018
- Chapter 14, Medical Malpractice, in Illinois Causes of Action, Torts, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2014, 2018
- Hemminger v. LeMay, 2014 Il. App. (3d) 120392, 2014
- Heastie v. Roberts, 226 Ill.2d 515, 877 N.E.2d 1064 , 2007
- Krivanec v. Abromowitz, 366 Ill. App.3d 350, 851 N.E.2d 649, 2006, 1st Dist.
- Nanda v. Moss, 412 F.3d 836, 2005, 7th Cir
- Nanda v. Board of Trustees of University of Illinois, 312 F.3d 852, 2002, 7th Cir.
- Doe v. Noe, 303 Ill. Appl. 3d 139, 707 N.E.2d 588, 1998, 1st Dist.
- Elane v. St. Bernard Hospital, 264 Ill. App.3d 865, 672 N.E.2d 820, 1996, 1st Dist.
- Old Republic v. Chuak & Tecson, P.C., 84 F3d 998, 1996, 7th Cir.
- Johnson v. University of Chicago Hospitals, 982 F.2d 230, 1992, 7th Cir.
- McAlister v. Schick, 147 Ill. 2d 84, 588 N.E.2d 1151, 1992
- West v. Deere & Co., 145 Ill.2d 177, 582 N.E.2d 685, 1991
- Young v. Makar, 207 Ill. App.3d 337, 565 N.E.2d 1030, 1991, 2nd Dist.
- Novey v. Kishwaukee Community Health Services Center, 176 Ill. App.3d 674, 531 N.E.2d 427, 1988, 2nd Dist.
- Wills v. DeKalb Area Retirement Center, 175 Ill. App.3d 833, 530 N.E.2d 1066, 1988, 2nd Dist.
- Torres v. Divis, 144 Ill. App.3d 958, 494 N.E.2d 1297, 1986, 2nd Dist.
- Conner v. First Bank and Trust Co. of Rockford, 108 Ill. App.3d 534, 439 N.E.2d 122, 1982, 2nd Dist.
- Construction Accidents, Illinois State Bar Association, March 29, 2019
- Third Party Practice, Civil Practice and Procedure Update, Illinois State Bar Association, 05/02/2014
- Dealing with liens and claimed reimbursement rights in personal injury cases, Northwest Suburban Bar Association, 10/19/2011 to 10/19/2011
- Courtroom Visuals, Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 04/21/2010 to 04/21/2010
- Preparing Yor Expert and Challenging Theirs, Litigation Skills III, Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 09/11/2008 to 09/11/2008
- Cross-examination of Adverse Expert, Litigation Skills II, Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 05/16/2008 to 05/16/2008
- Contingent Fees, Referral Fees and Attorneys; Liens; and Common Fund Doctrine, Northwest Suburban Bar Association, 03/19/2008 to 03/19/2008
- The Plaintiff's Perspective on Motions to Dismiss and for Summary Judgment, Northwest Suburban Bar Association, 11/15/2007 to 11/15/2007
- Expert Testimony At Trial, Northwest Suburban Bar Association, 03/15/2007 to 03/15/2007
- Proof of Causation, How Much is Enough, Illinois Trial Lawyer's Association, 04/08/1995 to 04/08/1995
- State and Federal Statutes in Medical Malpractice Cases, Illinois Trial Lawyer's Association, 12/04/1993 to 12/04/1993
Honors and Awards
- Selected as one of Chicago's Top Lawyers, 2012, 2013, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member, Amicus Curiae Committee, Present
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, Present
- Illinois Trial Lawyer's Association, Member, Amicus Curiae Committee, Present
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association, Member, Present